This vegetarian version of the lentil soup is so savoury, that you can’t stop at having just 1 bowl.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
Place the olive oil into a large utensil or kadhai and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Add the lentils, tomatoes, vegetable broth, coriander, cumin and and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes | Cook Time : 45 Min | Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes