During pregnancy, due to hormonal changes and excess fluid volumes, woman often complain of blocked nasal passages.They find themselves sniffling and at times find it difficult to find proper sleep. In extreme dry weather, some women may experience nosebleeds.
The alternate nostril breathing exercise will help you stay comfortable and keep nasal passages unclogged.
Alternate Nostril Breathing Exercise
- Sit in a comfortable position, making sure that your back is erect. Block one nostril with your index finger and inhale and exhale deeply with the other nostril. Do 8 deep breaths. Repeat with the other nostril.
- Block the right nostril with the index finger, breathe in from the left nostril. Block the left nostril with the thumb and exhale from the right nostril.
- Repeat Step 1 and Step 2, 8-10 times. Reverse.
- Block the right nostril with the index finger, breathe in from the left nostril. Block the left nostril with the thumb and exhale from the right nostril. Keeping the left nostril blocked, inhale from the right nostril block the right nostril with the index finger and exhale from the left nostril.
- Repeat the above cycle 8-10 times.
Most of the times, alternate nostril breathing can be done by pregnant women in all the trimesters, even on bed-rest. Please consult your doctor before practicing alternative nostril breathing.