Capsicum or green bell peppers are stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes and onions. This recipe has many variations – you can make the stuffing with ingredients like paneer/cottage cheese, besan/gram flour or green peas.
- Potatoes – 4 large, boiled and peeled
- Onions – 3 large, finely chopped
- Capsicum – 4 medium sized (any coloured pepper of your choice, i have used the green one)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Jeera powder – 3 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Grated cheese – 3-4 tbsp (optional)
- Wash and pat dry the capsicums. Slice the top part off and de-seed the capsicum using a small knife. It should be completely clean from the inside. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil, add jeera and when it splutters, add a pinch of hing. Add onions and cook till they start browning a bit. Mash the boil potatoes and add the mash to the onions. Stir and add salt and jeera powder. If you decide to use cheese, add it at this stage and stir till it is integrated well. Adjust salt.
- Stuff the capsicums with the potato mixture. Using your fingers, coat the capsicums with a little oil and put them in a baking tray and grill them in an oven for 20-25 mins or till the capsicum is completely cooked.
- Serve hot with phulkas or parathas.
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 25 mins | Total Time: 45 mins