Pumpkin is an extremely nutrient-dense food and, considered a superfood for pregnant women due to the high content of fiber, vitamin A, iron and other nutrients that are essential for the robust health of the mother-to-be and the baby.
This recipe combines it with either ragi or oat flour, making it a further gem of a healthy snack during pregnancy…
- 400 gms Yellow pumpkin, peeled and seeds removed
- ½ cup Ragi flour or oat flour (to act as a binder to the cutlets)
- 7 – 8spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds/kalonji seeds
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp amchur powder
- Handful of chopped coriander and mint leaves
- Oil for pan frying
- Cut the pumpkin into very small pieces. Cook in a pressure cooker till mushy and very soft.
- Drain out the excess water by passing through a thin sieve.
- Heat the oil and add the chopped onion and sesame seeds, sauté for 1 minute, till onion is transparent, add the spinach leaves. Cook till spinach shrinks, add the sieved and mashed pumpkin pulp into the pan.
- Lower the heat and mix in the ragi flour or oats flour, Also add the salt and other dry spices.
- Cook on low fire stirring continuously till the mixture is dry and can be shaped into tikis.
- Allow the mixture to cool, mix in the coriander and mint leaves, divide into portions and shape into circular tikis.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan or tava and pan fry these tikis turning once so that both sides are cooked and lightly browned.
- Enjoy piping hot, with some tamarind or coriander chutney
Pumpkin can be prepared in various ways to be incorporated into your diet, Do share your favorite pumpkin recipe too.