Enjoy this easy to make, yummy, low cal and healthy Palak corn rice full of vitamin C, iron, folic acid, calcium and magnesium, perfect one pan meal for working mothers and for kids lunch box.
- 1/2 cup Long Grained rice (basmati rice)
- 1½ cups chopped Palak (spinach)
- 1/4 cup Sweet Corn Kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small piece of Bay Leaf, optional
- 2-inch piece of Cinnamon
- 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ teaspoons Ginger-Garlic Paste( or crushed)
- 1 Green Chili, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 tablespoon Oil
Notes: If you are going to use fresh sweet corn kernels then parboil them before using (boil them in water until half-cooked). You can also use brown rice instead of basmati rice. Soaking time of brown rice will be 30 mins and add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water for cooking the rice.
- Rinse rice in water for 4-5 times and then soak it in water for 15 minutes.
- Boil 1-cup spinach in hot water for 2 minutes. Drain the spinach using slotted spoon and transfer into the cold water. Drain again and crush with 2 tablespoons water using mixer-grinder into spinach puree.
- Heat ghee and oil together in a non-stick pan or heavy based pan. Add cinnamon and bay leaf in same pan and sauté for 30 seconds. Add sliced onion and sauté until onion turns light brown. Add crushed ginger-garlic and green chilli and sauté for 30-40 seconds.
- Add spinach puree, 1/2 cup chopped spinach and sweet corn kernels.
- Stir and cook it for 2-3 minutes over medium flame. Drain excess water from soaked rice and add into the cooked mixture. Mix well. Stir continuously and cook for a minute.
- Add 1¼ cups water and salt. Mix and bring it to boil over medium flame. When it comes to boil, reduce flame to low and cook covered over low flame for 10 minutes. Do not open the lid in between otherwise rice grain may not cook properly.
- Turn off flame and let it settle (keep covered) for 7-8 minutes. Now, open the lid and fluff the rice gently with fork to separate each rice grain.
Transfer prepared Palak Pulao into the serving bowl, enjoy it hot with some vegetable raita.
Prep time : 20 mins | Cooking time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 40 Minutes
Nutrient value per serving
- Calories: 165 kcal
- Carbs: 22.6 gms
- Proteins: 2.8 gms
- Fat : 8 gms