Methi ( fenugreek) is a herb which is most often used during the lactation phase as it helps in increasing the milk supply. It has been reported to be an excellent galactagogue which has been used for centuries. Methi pulao can be accompanied with some fresh curd and pickle.
- 1-1/2 cups Basmati (or any long grained rice)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1-1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- About 1/2 bunchMethi (fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 tbsp Butter (optional, but recommended)
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- Freshly ground Peppercorns to taste
- Wash the rice until clear and then soak in some water for 15-20 minutes. Though its not necessary, I would recommend it if you like your grains separate.
- Heat the ghee in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the cumin seeds
- Once they sizzle and become aromatic, add the drained rice.Stir fry for few seconds.
- Add 2-3/4 cups of water (you can use the water used for soaking) along with salt (abt 3/4 tsp) and turmeric. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to the low-medium setting, partially cover the pan and cook until the rice is done. It would take around 10 minutes.
- Do not stir the rice while it cooks. Remove from the heat and let the rice rest undisturbed about 5 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, you can start working on removing the leaves.
- Give it a rough chop.
- In another pan, heat butter. Cooking greens (or even vegetables for that matter) in some butter helps the body absorb nutrients better in the said veggies.
- Add the chopped greens to it with some salt. Remember that there is already some salt in the rice, so add accordingly along with generous dose of ground pepper.
- Cook until just lightly wilted. Add the Garam masala, give it a good mix and switch off flame. Do not overcook the greens. Add this to the prepared rice
- Give it a gentle mix until incorporated.Serve warm with any accompaniment of your choice.
Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Total time: 25 mins | Serves: 4
Nutrient value per serving
Calories: 161 kcals
Carbs : 19.3 gms
Proteins: 5 gms
Fat : 7.2 gms