This Diwali enjoy these healthy Idlis made with rice and split green moong dal and served with nutritious Green Chutney in Shot Glasses. Along with these Idli Shots being tasty they are also loaded with proteins, fiber, vitamin A and folate, perfect guilt free treat for mothers trying to loose that stubborn weight post pregnancy.
- 1/2 cup rice (chawal)
- 1/2 cup green moong dal (split green gram)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spring onion whites and greens
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp fruit salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- For Serving : nutritious green chutney
- Soak the rice, moong dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl with enough water for 5 to 6 hours. Drain and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using little water.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add the carrots, spring onion whites and greens and salt and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the batter and pour 2 tsp of water over it. When the bubbles form, mix gently
- Pour a little batter into each greased idli mould and steam in a steamer for 10 minutes or till the idlis are cooked. Cool slightly, demould and chop each idli in to half.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to it. Once it splutters add asafoetida, red chili powder and turmeric. Add the idlis and mix well. See to it while mixing you do not break the idlis.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes till the idlis get a little crisp. Switch off the flame once done.
- Add 1 tsp of mint chutney in a shot glass. Insert a toothpick in one of the idli piece and dip it in the shot glass.
Nutrient value per serving
- Calories 25
- Carbs 3.9 gms
- Proteins 1 gms
- Fat 0.5 gms
Prep time: 5 to 6 hours | Cooking time: 15 mins | Total time: 6 hours