- 1 sm. whole chicken or chicken legs and thighs
- 3 stalks celery (2 stalks cut into large pieces; set aside 1 stalk to add when soup is done)
- 1 lg. onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 lg. potato cubed and boiled until very done; drain off water
- 1/2 c. raw rice
- 1 pkg. of frozen soup vegetables
- 4 to 5 plum tomatoes (blanched, peeled and cut into pieces)
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
Place chicken in large pot and add more than enough water to cover it. Add celery, onions, shallots, bay leaves, and the basil leaver – cover and boil until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. When cool, remove skin and bones and cut chicken into small pieces.Strain chicken broth and transfer the broth to a large pot. Add chicken and Italian dressing and bring to a boil. Add rice, vegetables, celery (cut into small pieces), tomatoes and soy sauce.
Mash potato well, mix with a cup of the chicken broth and add to the pot. Doing so will thicken the soup and give it more substance!
Let the pot simmer for about 45 minutes.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes | Cook Time : 1 Hour | Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes